HackOut is the first-ever, two-day, LGBT-oriented hackathon presented by StartOut.
The Austin Chapter of Startout presents HackOut, the world's first-ever LGBT-oriented hackathon. In the spectacular Capital Factory co-working space, we'll get together to present ideas, team up, and build great hacks that may turn into great companies. Two days of hacking with a break from midnight to 7am. We've got sponsorship and prizes from Capital Factory (venue), Curious Cat Company, Facebook, Google, Hirestarter, HomeStart, Launch Marketing, Jones Spross PLLC, KCL Foundation, Mortgage Portfolio Services, Rackspace, Stripe and Thinktiv. And we're looking forward to welcoming teams and participants from around the US and around the world. Register more than a week in advance to get free cloud credits to run your hack!
[S] = Speaker
[M] = Mentor
[J] = Judge
- [J] Dr. Jeff Amos, Clear Oak Partners, Entrepreneur/IC2 Fellow/Pepperdine Faculty Member
- [J] Joshua Baer, Executive Director of Capital Factory
- [M] Chad Bailey, Support Engineer at Heroku
- [M/J] Keith Casey, former Developer Evangelist at Twilio
- [M] Sven Elstermann, former VP at Aloqa
- [S] Bijoy Goswami, Founder of Bootstrap Austin and Author of The Human Fabric
- [M] Lindsey O’Niell, Software Developer at TrendKite
- [S/M/J] Emma Persky, Google developer in NYC office
- [S/M/J] Matt Richardson, Creative Technologist
- [M] Kerry Rupp, CEO at DreamIt Ventures
- [S/M] Alex Sexton, Product Engineer at Stripe and JQuery Board of Advisors
- [M/J] JP Sugarbroad, Google developer
- 8:00am: Doors Open to Sponsors / Sponsor Table Setup
- 9:00am: Doors Open to Attendees
- 10:00am: Welcome to HackOut / Team Formation
- 11:00am: Hackathon begins
- 12:00pm: Lunch is served
- 7:00pm: Dinner is served
- 7:00pm – Midnight: Keep hacking…
- 7:00am: Doors Open
- 8:00am: Breakfast is served
- 12:00pm: Lunch is served
- 1:00pm: Hackathon ends / Submission due
- 2:00pm – 4:30pm: Demos and presentations
- 5:00pm: Winners are announced
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm: Cocktail Hour / You’ve survived… let’s celebrate!
Venue: Capital Factory 701 Brazos Street, 16th Floor, 78701, USA
- Participants: Individuals (15 years in age or older) and teams of up to five (5) people
- Countries: Any
- Categories are not limited to specific target areas. Any viable business idea or non-profit idea is welcome.
- What to create: functioning software application; demonstration video; screenshots
- Platforms: iOS; Mobile Web; Web; Mac Desktop; Windows Desktop
How to enter
- Sign up for HackOut at http://startout.org/events/hackout-austin-2014.
- Limited student travel scholarships are available. Please register for HackOut and then submit a brief email describing your background, entrepreneurial aspirations, and travel needs to email@example.com. Applications are due by 5:00 pm Central, January 10, 2014.
- Register for a free account on Challenge Post (www.challengepost.com).
- If you want to use your free $2000 in Google Cloud credits during HackOut, you must register with Google Cloud by Friday, February 7, 2014.
- Construct your demo according to the rules below and complete your submission on Challenge Post by 1:00 pm CST on Sunday, February 16, 2014.
Dr. Jeff Amos
Entrepreneur/IC2 Fellow/Pepperdine Faculty
Executive Director of Capital Factory
Former Developer Evangelist at Twilio